Monday, August 29th–London

Cold & dizzy; working on my podcast playlists & backing up pictures; more hat shopping; by cab back home; afternoon tea at Richoux; dinner at the pan-Asian restaurant at the Crowne Plaza hotel next door

Best Western Cromwell



I really don't have a lot to report on from today due to being sidelined for most of the day with a much higher level of dizziness than usual due to the otherwise mild cold I've had for the last couple of days. I do feel quite a bit better than I did, with much less coughing and having to blow my nose, but the increased level of sinus congestion has really messed up my sense of balance.

It's now about 11:30 PM and I'm just getting around to typing up my notes from today, such as they are. Even though I've been here in my room most of the time I haven't been idle, but have been getting caught up on my hobby of keeping lists of what's been played on the podcasts I listen to and just now I'm backing up the pictures I took all last week from my laptop where I copied them from the camera's memory card.

I have a bit of a confession to make, which is slightly embarrassing since I met with Simon, one of the podcasters I listen to, while in Glasgow and am trying to get together with Alan, another of my podcasters, while I'm here in London. I really haven't been listening to much of my music or podcasts at all since I left work on New Year's Eve. I always sort of knew that the primary reason I listened to my iPhone at work was to avoid having to hear all the noise and conversations from the office on the other side of the partition from my cubicle. That meant I listened to my iPhone from two to a high of six hours every day. When I was no longer at work but at home or traveling I no longer needed to block out the background noise and rather like it when things are quiet.

I slept pretty well last night, and as I said haven't been coughing or blowing my nose as much as I was yesterday but I have been dizzier than normal. I ventured outside around 12 or 1 PM, though. I wanted to go back to the souvenir shops down across from Harrods to take another look at the London baseball caps I'd seen earlier and have lunch somewhere in the area. It's really not that far from here to there, but due to my increased level of dizziness the walk was much more of an adventure than I really liked or enjoyed. I did find a London cap I liked but all the restaurants near the shop were too busy for me to find a free table.

I was going to take the Tube back to Gloucester Road but when I got to the stairs leading down to the Knightsbridge Tube station I took a look at them and thought "I'd better not today", so I caught a cab back to Gloucester Road instead. I had the afternoon tea at the Richoux there for lunch, then went to the Waitrose for some lemonade and chips before I came back here for the rest of the day. (And Pimm's with lemonade really is quite good.)

I headed out for dinner around 8 PM. I didn't go far. The Crowne Plaza hotel next door has a pan-Asian restaurant that's not expensive which I liked quite a bit last year so I went there tonight. Not only did I have a very good dinner but my waitress was a lovely, charming and rather adorable young blonde from France named Hortense.

And that's about it for today. It' s apparently going to take another hour or so to back up last week's pictures to one of my USB drives, and at least that long to copy them to my backup backup drive so I think I'll watch something streaming on my Kindle Fire or one of my smart phones and hope I can start the backup before falling asleep. If not, I'll do so tomorrow.

What are my plans for the rest of tomorrow? I could go to the places I wanted to today. I've also been thinking of just taking a walk over to the Thames. The Chelsea Embankment Gardens are only about a half an hour's walk from here, and the Chelsea Old Church, Chelsea Physic Garden as well as five or six other churches are along the way and Battersea Park with the Peace Pagoda and the Pump House art gallery are right on the other side of the Thames across the Albert Bridge. It's another 45 minute walk from the Pump House back to here, or I might take a bus on over to the Sloane Square Tube station for the train back to Gloucester Road.

And so goodnight.

Return to journal